Sunday 22 March 2015

The Sunday Posts 2015/Threnody



Lilacs blossom just as sweet
Now my heart is shattered.
If I bowled it down the street,
Who's to say it mattered?
If there's one that rode away
What would I be missing?
Lips that taste of tears, they say,
Are the best for kissing.

Eyes that watch the morning star
Seem a little brighter;
Arms held out to darkness are
Usually whiter.
Shall I bar the strolling guest,
Bind my brow with willow,
When, they say, the empty breast
Is the softer pillow?

That a heart falls tinkling down,
Never think it ceases.
Every likely lad in town
Gathers up the pieces.
If there's one gone whistling by
Would I let it grieve me?
Let him wonder if I lie;
Let him half believe me.

Dorothy Parker
Photo by Alistair.

5 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ohhhh, that Dorothy gal, she surely can bowl a few hearts with her words...

Blessings for a fine week your end Alistair. YAM xx

Anonymous said...

such an awesome photo!

Bovey Belle said...

I have not encountered Dorothy Parker's poetry before, so thank you for opening the door.

Indigo Roth said...

Dude, nice photo! And a sad piece. The two form an interesting connection. Indigo

Alistair said...

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the comments. I'm sure I've posted a few Dorothy Parker poems here {Maybe I should label individual poets instead of just lump them in as 'poems'}

The photo was taken from our bedroom window one morning and is a Jackdaw about to land on the neighbouring cottage chimney. I do like it though and it's also cropped up across the blog from time to time. I often post photos from my 'favourites' file.

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...