Sunday 30 June 2013

The Sunday Posts 2013/Ulysses



Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

'Ulysses'
By Alfred Tennyson
Photo by Alistair.

3 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh this is 'yummy' - a speech that could well serve Scotland in the coming months...

Now I have to think that is Bass Rock way in the distance. (?) The bridge is fair forlorn - don't recall seeing anything like this (not that THAT means anything with me). An intriguing shot. Haunting even. Very nice.

Hope your week is shaping to be a good one. YAM xx

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Alistair! Judy Dench did this justice in SKYFALL. And I know that bridge! =) Indigo

Alistair said...

Hullo Yamini,

A good weekend. Time off, sunshine and my Lovely G by my side.

It is the Bass Rock - from Belhaven, Dunbar. I always refer to this as 'The Bridge To Nowhere'. It crosses a wee stream that gets inundated when the tide comes in and the bridge is left standing in the sea.

I never thought of the political connection but you're right, it kind of fits.

Indigo,

Right and right. Maybe get some dawn or dusk shots there sometime soon eh? Luvvly Jubbly!

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...