Sunday 9 February 2014

The Sunday Posts 2014/Sea Fever



I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking,
 
I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.
 
I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.
 
John Masefield.
Photo By Alistair.

5 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Lovely - one of my fave poems, but long time since I read it. Fabby foto as always. Have a great week Alistair!! YAM xx

Alistair said...

Thanks Yamini. You too!

DB Stewart said...

"the long trick" Love that.

Alistair said...

hehe!

Bovey Belle said...

One of my favourite poems from childhood too. Such a beautiful strength in the yearning for the sea. We used to learn them off by heart (I still remember big chunks of Noyes' The Highwayman too) . . .

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...