The Sunday Posts 2016/ A Wee Cock Sparra'



This comic poem was an annual entertainment for New Year when I was growing up. The Scots dialect of the non-gaelic regions was always only heard on TV in a comic situation, not taken seriously, except in a work of Rabbie Burns. I always thought it was strange that the language I spoke everyday with friends and family and had grown up with was something to be laughed at in 'polite' society. At school you could earn a prize one day for reciting Burns and get belted the next for 'not speaking properly'.

Thankfully that situation has slowly changed but there's a long way to go in recognising and rescuing the diversity and heritage of a native tongue.

Comments

Yamini MacLean said…
Hari OM
Indeed so Alastair - when I was moved down to a school in Suffolk, it was the jaunting of the other kids which prompted my shift in vocals. Now, apparently, without any conscious effort on my part, I tend to adopt the sounds around me - simply to be understood! It is amazing the number of folk who, hearing a different accent, automatically 'dinny unnerstaun' and make no effort to open their ears.
YAM xx
dbs said…
Love this. Reminds me of my great grandparents.

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post

The Sunday Posts 2015/Threnody

The Sunday Posts 2015/In an Artist's Studio