Monday 1 March 2010

It's a beautiful day...........



Hullo ma wee blog,

It's a beautiful day. This mornings drive to Dunbar station with The Lovely G was the first time this year I had not used lights on the car for the journey. Although it was a nose tingling -2C, and with a wind behind it making it feel even more biting, the sky was clear and pastel blue. Once the car had heated up you could almost imagine that it was a summers morning, with the exception of the trees all around being bare of leaves.

After dropping G at the station I took time, on the spur of the moment, to go down to the harbour and spend just a few moments walking round and enjoying the light and the air, despite the cold reminding me just how spur of the jacketless moment it had really been. Despite that, the view all the way across the estuary to a sunny Fife coastline and the fantastic colour of the castle ruins, red in the rising sun, was almost as invigorating as the lack of temperature, with a pale blue sea set underneath that pastel sky and the gentlest of swells moving the surface. I watched some seabirds afloat near the harbour walls before turning, envious of their complete disregard for the cold, taking a deep breath of icy air and heading briskly back to the car and its retained warmth. I felt almost purified, but that might just have been icicles in the brain.

By the time I had turned onto the A1 again for the drive home, my shivering had stopped and body temperature had reached a more comfortable sense of proportion. I was able once more to appreciate what a fantastic start to March we've been given. The snows of February easily forgotten, I felt like it was the first time this year that I could really see the green of the grass in roadside fields, notice that sometime recently a farmer must have created a newly ploughed field of red Dunbar earth, and how little left of the winter feed the herds of sheep had left to them in stubble strewn pastures near the village. As the car climbed over the crest of the hill at the edge of the village, a few hardy, but well insulated, souls were completing the obligatory early morning walking of winter wrapped dogs. As I pulled past them into the drive and scrunched across ice covered puddles I was already thinking of coffee and remembered with an eager smile, the two large croissants left from Sundays solitary breakfast. That will do very nicely, thank you very much.

It's a beautiful day......

see you later.

listening to Mott The Hoople 'All the Young Dudes'

2 comments:

coastkid said...

was indeed a lovely day Al...actully got a bit of a sweat on at work!,hope this weather continues...

Alistair said...

Hullo 'Story so far',

Welcome to the blog. I may indeed like your site. I'll have a look soon.

regards.......Al.

Coastkid. I know, it;s amazing. I do too..

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...