Friday 31 December 2010

New Years Resolutions and Other Things of Great Magnitude.

Hullo ma wee blog,

Sitting at the kitchen table wondering what I was going to post as the final entry for 2010, I just showed this to the lovely G who shrugged and said "Yeah right! You think?" before walking off shaking her head and laughing quietly to herself, carefully cradling the cup of hot tea I had just made her.

Whatever can she mean?

DON'T all rush at once!

Normally I don't do New Years resolutions. More accurately, I don't do New Years resolutions. Like many people I've made enough of them in the past then singularly failed to deliver. You know - the usual kind of thing; Lose weight; take more exercise; really sort out the garden; do those outstanding bits of DIY I've been promising since Methusela was a boy; phone or visit my elderly relatives more often; Be less grumpy. The usual kind of stuff. Hardly earth shattering. And maybe that's the problem! Maybe because I can dismiss them as just a daft New Years resolution I can demean them, make them less worthy and make it less important if one or two or all of them fall by the wayside. After all, it's just a stupid New Years resolution isn't it?

So this year I'm going to use reverse psychology on myself. This year I'm not making a single New Years resolution. Not one. Therefore I remove from the situation my ability to dismiss them. I deny myself the need to review my progress. I refuse to list my failings at the end of the year. I will not feel guilty about them. I will be free to do or not do as I choose. I will release myself from the pressure of conforming.

No. Wait a minute. Isn't that a New Years resolution?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the last few hours of today turn one year towards the next I don't have anything deep and meaningful to say, nothing clever or insightful has come my way over the last couple of hours. So, I'll just end by wishing you all a very happy and peaceful New Year.

And to you Scudder, my new old friend, I raise my glass.

Slainte!

Your very good health.

see you later.......

Listening to

2 comments:

Giulia said...

I'm toying with the idea of a few...but not sure. I may be with you on this. I have to say though that you really brightened up my early evening just by showing C&H. I always forget how much I miss them. Happy New Year!

Alistair said...

Happy Hogmanay to you too!!!

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...