Sunday 13 March 2011

The Sunday Post.


Hullo ma wee blog,

You're probably getting fed up with Norman MacCaig by now but I'm finding it almost impossible to get away from him with his perfect economy of words so you'll have to put up with him for a while more.

Edinburgh Stroll. {1989}

I leave the Tollcross traffic and walk by the Meadows
between two rows of trees, all looking
as grave as Elders of the Kirk - but
wait till the wind blows.

Dogs are hunting for smells. A few men
are practising approach shots
on the drwarfish golf course. some children
are incomprehensively playing.

And between two heaps of jackets
a boy scores a goal -
the best one ever,

Past the Infirmary I go back to the traffic,
cross it, and there's Sandy Bell's bar.

Tollcross to Sandy Bell's Bar -
a short walk with a long conclusion.

See you later.

2 comments:

The Gaelic Wife said...

It makes me want to go back to Edinburgh. We visited last summer during our family holiday and stayed at the Caledonian. We walked to the Castle and Holyroodhouse. A very walkable city.

Alistair said...

Aye, isn't it just. There's a lot wrong with Edinburgh but I love living near it.....

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...